How to Cancel My Public Aid Services

Public aid is offered through the state government and includes medical assistance, financial help for food, childcare, utilities and some emergency costs. In order to qualify for these services, a family or individual needs to maintain specific income requirements. If there is a change in your circumstances and you go above the income or have another change in situation, you may need to cancel your public aid services.

Review your paperwork from your acceptance into public aid programs.

Find the name and contact information for your caseworker for public assistance.

Write a letter addressed to your caseworker, and include the date, your Medicaid or food stamp account number, as well as the reason you no longer need public assistance, and sign and date the letter.

Make a copy of the letter after you sign it, and bring it or send it to the office. If you bring it, they should stamp it as “received” and make a copy for you to have.

Request confirmation that your public assistance benefits have been ended.


  • Keep a copy of your public assistance paperwork for future reference. If there is ever a debate as to whether or not you continued to receive benefits when you were ineligible, you will have the copy of the letter to defend yourself.

    Depending on the state guidelines, you normally have 10 days to report a change in your household, such as change in income.


  • Do not apply for food stamps in a new state if they have not have been canceled in the previous state in which you received assistance.