Can You Renew Your Passport if You Have Filed for Bankruptcy?

You can renew your passport whether you are or have been in bankruptcy. The only time you may not be able to renew your passport is if you are behind on child support payments or have an outstanding warrant, according to the U.S. Department of State.


You are not required to surrender your passport to the trustee or federal bankruptcy court handling your case. To renew a passport after it has expired, you must apply through the U.S. Department of State. Fees may apply, and rates vary based on a number of factors. Rush orders are available to those traveling internationally within two weeks.

Form DS-82

To renew your passport, prepare Form DS-82, Application for a U.S. Passport, which is available on the U.S. Department of State’s website. Send your application in an envelope that is large enough to fit the application without folding to avoid delay or loss of your application.

Renew by Mail

You can renew your current passport by mail only if it is undamaged and can be mailed in with your application or was issued within the last 15 years or when you were age 16 or older, according to the U.S. Department of State. You can also apply by mail if your current passport lists your current name or you can legally document your name change.

Renew in Person

You must apply in person if your current passport has been mutilated, altered or damaged, according to the U.S. Department of State. Contact the National Passport Information Center to make an appointment or locate a Passport Agency. If you are abroad and want to renew your passport, you can do so at a U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate.