Can a Dependent File a 1040EZ and Get the Tax Refund?

••• tvirbickis/iStock/Getty Images

Many dependents who work don’t earn enough to owe any income taxes and may not have to file a tax return. For example, if you were claimed as a dependent in 2014 and made less than $6,200 with no more than $1,000 in unearned income you didn’t have to file. However, you might want to file anyway if you think you will get a refund of payroll tax withheld by your employer. If you meet Internal Revenue Service qualifications, you can use IRS form 1040EZ to get that refund.

Filing 1040EZ as a Dependent

Filing as a dependent is much the same as it is for other taxpayers, though you can’t claim a personal exemption or claim any dependents yourself. You are eligible to use the 1040EZ from if your income comes only from wages, taxable scholarship or fellowship money, unemployment benefits, interest or dividends from the Alaska Permanent Fund. You cannot file a 1040EZ when you have capital gains, losses or self-employment earnings. Total income must be under $100,000, with less than $1,500 in interest earnings. You must file as single or married filing jointly, and you can’t be legally blind and or age 65. If you owe any taxes on wages paid to a household worker or any alternative minimum tax, you can’t use 1040EZ.