Paypal allows account holders to securely send and receive money worldwide. The funds in a Paypal account can be used to pay for goods or services online at merchant sites set up to accept the service while users with a Paypal debit card can use the account to pay for items at traditional brick-and-mortar stores. Adding money to Paypal requires the use of a bank account or a MoneyPak prefunded with cash.
Funding from a Bank Account
Log in to your Paypal account by entering your username and password on the homescreen. After the account overview page loads, click on the "Profile" link in the site toolbar.
Click the "My Money" link. Under the bank accounts heading, select "Update" followed by "Add Bank."
Enter your banking information by selecting the bubble indicating whether the funding source is a checking or savings account. Paypal then asks for the routing number for your bank and the account number. After this information is entered, Paypal sends two small, separate deposits to your bank account.
Check your bank statements or online banking website three to four days after providing Paypal with your information and note the value of the individual deposits. Enter the value of these deposits on the Paypal website to verify your bank account.
Click "Add Money" and select the option for adding funds from a bank account. Choose the appropriate bank account from the drop-down menu and enter the amount of money you want to transfer. After you verify the transfer, Paypal begins the process, and the funds will be available in three to five business days.
Visit a retail store that markets Green Dot MoneyPaks. MoneyPaks are the only method of adding money to a Paypal balance without a bank account.
Pay the cashier at the retailer the amount of money you want added to the MoneyPak for Paypal and the purchase price of the MoneyPak itself. Reloading the account after the initial purchase is free. Federal financial laws require Green Dot to collect your Social Security number, birthday, name and current address before MoneyPak funds are added to Paypal for the first time.
Click "Add Money" on your Paypal account overview page and select the "Add money from MoneyPak" option. Enter the MoneyPak number and the security code to instantly transfer the funds to your Paypal account.
Paypal is able to automatically communicate with some banks to verify banking information. If your bank requires the use of an access code or customer ID to verify new connections, this information needs to be entered to conclude the authorization process.
Regularly scheduled transfers to Paypal from your bank account can also be set up from the "Add money" page.
- Paypal: About Paypal
- Paypal: How Do I Confirm My Bank Account
- Green Dot MoneyPak: How Adding Money to PayPal Works
- Paypal: Green Dot MoneyPak FAQs
- PayPal. “From Everyday Purchases to Running a Business—We’ve Got an App for You.” Accessed Aug. 3, 2020.
- PayPal. “PayPal Transaction Volume Doubles to $2 Billion.” Accessed Aug. 3, 2020.
- PayPal. “Where Can I Use Paypal With Google Pay?” Accessed Aug. 3, 2020.
- PayPal. “Explore Our Credit Cards, Debit Cards, Prepaid Cards and Paypal Credit.” Accessed Aug. 3, 2020.
- PayPal. “PayPal Fees Are Always Fair.” Accessed Aug. 3, 2020.
- Paypal is able to automatically communicate with some banks to verify banking information. If your bank requires the use of an access code or customer ID to verify new connections, this information needs to be entered to conclude the authorization process.
- Regularly scheduled transfers to Paypal from your bank account can also be set up from the "Add money" page.
Ashley Mott has 12 years of small business management experience and a BSBA in accounting from Columbia. She is a full-time government and public safety reporter for Gannett.