A medical provider who wants to join Cigna's network of doctors, hospitals and medical services must follow the proper channels. Three different networks exist that a medical provider can join, including the medical, behavioral health and dental networks.
Doctors should call 1-800-882-4462 and choose the credentialing option from the voice prompts. A customer service representative will send doctors the information needed to initiate the application and credentialing process. Along with the application, the doctor must submit:
- Current medical license
- Current U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency certificate
- Proof of clinical privileges at a Cigna-participating hospital
- Board certification status
- Medical training history
- Malpractice insurance and claims history
A doctor can check the status of his application and credentialing by calling 1-800-882-4462 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and including his name and Tax Identification Number. Cigna lets an applicant know if he is accepted or denied within 60 days of applying.
Applicants must also go through the credentialing process where Cigna reviews and verifies the medical professional's:
- Education and training
- Work history
- Any prior sanctioning activities
- Malpractice claims history
The process also includes an on-site visit for primary care physicians and obstetricians and gynecologists.
Cigna requires re-credentialing every three years by following the same requirements as the original credentialing process.
Mental and behavioral health professionals must complete the Health Care Professional Screening Form and email or fax it to Cigna. Cigna then reviews each form and responds to the applicant within 30 business days. Professionals in Minnesota, North Dakota and western Wisconsin must apply through HealthPartners, Cigna's alliance in those areas.
A behavioral health facility or clinic that wants to become a part of Cigna's network should call 1-800-926-2273 to apply.
The credentialing requirements for behavioral health specialists include:
- License to practice without supervision
- Professional liability insurance with at least $3 million in coverage for physicians and psychiatric nurses and $1 million for other behavioral medical professionals
Dentists interested in joining Cigna's network should call 1-800-244-6224 to have a representative start the online application process. A dentist can also send an email with his name, office name and office address to email@example.com. After completing the online application, he'll need to submit:
- W-9 Form
- Current dental license
- Current Drug Enforcement Agency certificate
- Certificate of specialty training, if applicable
- Current professional liability policy declarations page