How to Become a Section 8 Housing Landlord in Pennsylvania

How to Become a Section 8 Housing Landlord in Pennsylvania
••• public building image by Natalia Solovyeva from

The federal Housing Choice Voucher Program (also known as "Section 8") provides housing assistance to low-income families and individuals. Participants receive vouchers they then use to pay a portion of their rent directly to landlords. Landlords in Pennsylvania can accept these vouchers by working with their local public housing agency.

Contact the county public housing authority in the town where your building is located. Explain that you would like to accept Section 8/Housing Choice vouchers.

Attend any required information meetings. (Some counties may not require that you attend an information meeting prior to listing with the public housing authority.)

Ask to have your property listed with the housing authority as one that be paid for with Housing Choice vouchers.

Provide the housing authority with any paperwork that they request. This may include documentation that you own the building, a W-9 tax form, or any required local licenses and permits.

Meet with prospective tenants and screen them according to fair housing standards as well as your own.

Select a tenant and arrange for the public housing authority to inspect your property. If your property does not pass inspection, make the needed repairs and arrange for a second inspection.

Sign the lease, along with the tenant, and then sign the housing contract provided by the housing authority.

Arrange for your rent payments to be sent to you via direct deposit, if your local housing authority offers this service.


  • Make sure that you work with the housing authority in the county where your property is located. If you have multiple properties, you may have to work with several different housing authorities.