How to Apply for Food Stamps in Wilmington, North Carolina

The Department of Social Services administers a Food and Nutrition Services program in the State of North Carolina. The program provides low-income families with money for food. The program uses an Electronic Benefits Transfer card instead of food stamps. Since North Carolina has more than 100 counties, the department has a local office in each county where local residents can find help without difficulty. The New Hanover County Department of Social Services office is responsible for administering Food and Nutrition Services in Wilmington and other cities in the county.

Obtain an application. You may print an application from the website for the North Carolina Department of Social Services (see Resources). You may also contact the New Hanover County Department of Social Services office to have an application mailed to you or you may pick one up. Call the office at 910-798-3400.

Complete the application. Handwrite your answers on the printed form.

Submit the form. You may mail the form to:

New Hanover County Department of Social Services 1650 Greenfield Street P.O. Drawer 1559 Wilmington, NC 28402 910-798-3400

You could also submit the form to the office in person or fax it to 910-798-3627. According to the North Carolina Department of Social Services, your application process will officially begin the day it receives your application. If you are eligible to receive food assistance, you will receive benefits that month but the amount you receive will depend on the date of submission.

Attend an interview with a caseworker. The caseworker will determine whether you are eligible for Food and Nutrition Services. Take a method of identification with you, such as a Driver’s License, and proof of your address, such as a rental agreement. If the caseworker finds that you are eligible, you will begin to receive benefits within 30 days from the day of approval. You may qualify for Expedited Food and Nutrition Services if you are experiencing an emergency situation, such as a lack of money for food. If you qualify, you will receive services within seven days.