How to Apply for Disabled Government Housing Assistance

The U.S. government provides housing assistance to low-income disabled people though programs such as the Housing Choice Voucher and public housing programs. These programs either subsidize a tenant's rent payment to keep it less than 30 percent of his income or provide low-cost, government-owned housing. Housing assistance programs are administered through state and local government agencies called housing authorities. Disabled people have priority status for these programs, meaning you will not have to wait as long for assistance as most people. You must contact the housing authority in your area to apply for housing assistance.

Go to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development website to find a list of state and local housing authorities.

Contact the housing authority in your area to ask about the application process. Often, you can complete the application online or download it from the housing authority's website. Some agencies may require an in-person application. However, the information you must prove is the same for different types of housing assistance applications.

Provide your name, date of birth, Social Security number, current address, previous addresses and a phone number where you can be reached.

Enter information about your income, including income from a job, investments, pension, Social Security Disability Insurance, Supplemental Security Income or other social service programs.

List your monthly household expenses. This includes current rent payments, utilities and medical costs.

Describe the nature of your disability. You must include the name of the disease or type of injury that caused your disability, the date you were diagnosed and your doctor's contact information.

Submit the application. The housing authority will process your paperwork and contact you with a decision, usually within 30 to 60 days, depending on your housing authority and the number of applicants.