How to Apply for Disability in BC

••• construction worker image by MAXFX from

Residents of BC have two potential sources of disability benefits. For work related injuries or diseases that result in loss of income or permanent disability, workers can make a claim through WorkSafeBC. This is designed to pay 90 percent of an employee’s regular net income. When an individual has a serious and prolonged medical condition that prevents him from working, he may also qualify for a Canada Pension Plan (CPP) disability pension. To qualify for CPP benefits, the medical problem does not need to be work related, but the applicant must have been making regular CPP contributions for at least three years.

WorkSafeBC Benefits

Report your injury to your employer. You must do this immediately after your injury occurs or symptoms of your work-related disease begin.

Visit a doctor as soon as possible. When you see your doctor, be sure to tell him that your medical issue is work related.

Call the Teleclaim Contact Center. When you realize that you will be missing work, and income, due to your condition, start your claim process by calling 1-888-967-5377. If your injury or disease will result in missing work, the call center agent will instruct you to complete an Application for Compensation and Report of Injury or Occupational Disease.

Download, print and complete an Application for Compensation and Report of Injury or Occupational Disease (find a link in Resources). On this form, you must include information about your accident, employer, current medical condition and wages or salary.

Submit the form by fax to 1-888-922-8807 or by mail to: WorkSafeBC P.O. Box 4700 Stn Terminal Vancouver BC, V6B 1J1

Canada Pension Plan Disability Pension

Get an application kit. You can download and print an application kit from the Service Canada website (find a link in Resources) or have one sent to you by calling 1-800-277-9914.

Bring the medical report form from the application kit to your doctor. He will fill it out and send it directly to Service Canada.

Complete the forms in the application kit. There are a number of forms that must be completed from the application kit: a basic application form in which you fill in your personal information, consent forms that you must sign to release your personal information, a questionnaire that asks for details about your medical condition and previous CPP contributions and forms dealing with any dependent children you may have.

Send your completed application kit to Service Canada (find a link to a list of Service Canada locations in Resources).


About the Author

Richard Long is an English teacher in Toronto, Canada and has been writing for over five years. He has had work published in "Geist" and "Speak2Me" magazines and is currently completing a certificate in technical communication from George Brown College.

Photo Credits