How to Answer a Property Tax Lawsuit

Having a lawsuit filed against you can be upsetting. If you owe property taxes and your county or jurisdiction has filed a lawsuit against you to get them, you need to answer the claim, even if you feel the lawsuit was filed erroneously. If you do not answer the lawsuit in a timely fashion, you may be subject to a tax lien foreclosure. Most jurisdictions, however, will work with a person struggling to make payments, as long as they can arrange to pay a certain amount each month.

Write a letter back to the complaintant, explaining why you do not believe you owe the amount claimed, if that is the case. Keep a copy of the letter for yourself and send it via certified mail.

Arrange to pay the amount asked for in the complaint. If you don't answer the complaint or don't wish to dispute it, simply call the plaintiff and make arrangements to pay it.

Engage the services of a lawyer if you dispute the claim. You will need to gather evidence supporting your claim.

Appear before the judge at the appointed court date and present your case. You will have to abide by the decision of the judge.

Make payment arrangements if you are ordered to pay or you may have to forfeit money in your bank account, have your wages garnished or have your property seized or a lien placed against your property.


About the Author

Michelle Hogan is a writer and the author of 13 books including the 2005 bestselling memoir, "Without a Net: Middle Class and Homeless (With Kids) in America." Hogan studied English at American University and has been writing professionally since 1998. Her work has appeared in "The New York Times," "Redbook," "Family Circle" and many other publications.