How to Amend an Arizona Income Tax Return

by Leigh Thompson ; Updated July 27, 2017
In Arizona, an amendment is required to make changes to a previously filed tax return.

You must submit an amended tax return to report additional income, tax credits and deductions after you have filed your Arizona income taxes. When you amend your federal tax return, you also must submit an Arizona amended tax return within 90 days of the final determination of the IRS. To claim a tax refund, you need to file an amended tax return within four years of the date you filed the original return.

Step 1

Complete form 140X. Input your identifying information and information from your original tax return in the columns marked “Original Return.” Complete the columns marked “This Return” to add any new or changed information. Using this new information, calculate your refund or amount owed.

Step 2

Attach supporting documentation and any payment, if applicable. This includes any 1099 forms you received after you filed your original return. Make your check or money order payable to the Arizona Department of Revenue. You can also make your payment electronically on the website. You can pay by credit card or electronic check.

Step 3

Mail your amended tax return and payment to: Arizona Department of Revenue P.O. Box 52016 Phoenix, AZ 85072-2016

Only mail your tax return to this address if you include a payment.

Step 4

Mail your amended tax return without payment to: Arizona Department of Revenue P.O. Box 52138 Phoeniz, AZ 85072-2138

Only mail your tax return to this address if you expect to receive a refund, you owe no taxes or you arent' including payment with your tax return.


  • Call the ADOR at 602-255-3381 for help or additional questions. Hearing-impaired individuals can call 602-542-4021 to use the TDD user line.

About the Author

Leigh Thompson began writing in 2007 and specializes in creating content for websites. She has been published online in various capacities. Thompson has an associate degree in information technology from the University of Kansas and is working on a bachelor's degree in business and personal finance.

Photo Credits

  • tax defined image by Christopher Walker from