How to Add My Fiance to My House Deed

How to Add My Fiance to My House Deed
••• Jupiterimages/Pixland/Getty Images

You can add your fiance to your house title with a quitclaim deed. Preparing a quitclaim deed is a straightforward task, however, there are ramifications to consider. When you add a party's name to a house deed, you're giving away an ownership interest in your property. It may also create gift tax consequences for you.

Adding a Fiance to Property Title

Obtain a quitclaim deed that complies with your state law from an attorney, title company, or office supply store. Type your name and address in the space labeled grantor. Type your and your fiance's name and address in the space labeled grantee. Identify how you are holding title after your names. For example, a joint tenancy passes to the last survivor on the deed, while tenants in common can will their interests to anyone they choose.

Type the house address, legal description, and its tax identification number in the designated spaces on the deed. State $1.00 for the consideration, or sales price, if your fiance is not paying you for the transfer. Follow your state law in providing specific information such as state and county transfer tax codes.

Sign the deed in ink and date it before a notary public. Your fiance generally does not have to sign the deed. Sign before two witnesses if required by your state law. Record the deed, paying any applicable filing fees, at your county's office of register of deeds.