What Is the USAA Landlord Policy?

What Is the USAA Landlord Policy?
••• house image by hans slegers from Fotolia.com

Texas-based USAA insurance company exclusively insures active duty and former members of the U.S. armed services and their families. Its property insurance offerings to members who are also landlords include rental home insurance on up to five tenant-occupied dwellings.

Dwelling Coverage

USAA's standard policy for landlords covers damage to the dwelling from fire, hail and vandalism as well as damage to the owner's personal property left in the home, such as kitchen appliances. Other dangers may be underwritten and then defined in the individual policy.

Personal Liability Coverage

In certain situations, the policy will cover the landlord's legal fees if someone is injured or if someone's property is damaged on the insured's property. It also covers medical expenses if a visitor is injured or suffers a loss on the insured property.

Loss of Rental Income Coverage

USAA will pay the insured landlord any lost rental income while the property is being repaired or rebuilt due to damage from a covered loss.


To qualify for USAA's rental home insurance policy, you must be a USAA member. In all states except California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Maine, New Hampshire and New York, you must also carry USAA homeowner's or renter's insurance on your own home.

Deductible and Premiums

The policy is written with a small deductible and an annual premium, which are determined at the time of underwriting. USAA's underwriting criteria will include the type and size of the dwelling, its location, furnishings and personal property to be left in the rental.