How to Transfer Real Property in Missouri

••• series object on white: isolated - Signature image by Aleksandr Ugorenkov from

Transfer of real property, also called conveyance, is rather easily executed. If you have a piece of real estate in Missouri and you wish to add someone to the deed, or if you wish to transfer the deed entirely to someone else, you can do this simply by completing one document. The type of document you need depends on how you wish to handle this transaction.

Look at the existing deed to the piece of property. All owners and vested owners have an interest in the ownership of the property. You cannot change or transfer ownership without the consent of all interested parties. Contact each owner and discuss the transfer.

Decide how you will transfer the property. If you are deeding the home to a family member (like a spouse or child) and removing yourself as an owner, you will need a warranty deed. If you are simply adding or removing someone from the deed, you need a quitclaim deed (see Resources).

Hire a notary public for a meeting. You will need a notary to witness, sign and place an embossed seal on the completed deed--regardless of whether it is a warranty or quitclaim deed.

Obtain a blank copy of either a warranty or quitclaim deed. This is handled the same way in all 50 states. However, the deed must reflect the state of Missouri as the state in which the property resides.

Schedule a meeting between all vested owners (including yourself), any new owners and a notary public. All parties must sign and date the deed. Make sure all parties have valid photo IDs for the notary. The notary must witness this entire process and then sign to confirm.

Do not pay the real estate transfer tax. This does not apply to Missouri properties, as it does in at least 37 other states. This is true as of April 2010.

Make copies of the completed and signed deed. Distribute copies to all interested parties. Bring the original document to the Registry of Deeds for the town in which the town is located. Have an abstractor record the document. Write down the book and page in which the deed is recorded. It is now legal.


About the Author

Based in Eugene, Ore., Duncan Jenkins has been writing finance-related articles since 2008. His specialties include personal finance advice, mortgage/equity loans and credit management. Jenkins obtained his bachelor's degree in English from Clark University.

Photo Credits

  • series object on white: isolated - Signature image by Aleksandr Ugorenkov from