SSI Benefits for Unwed Mothers

••• John Rowley/Photodisc/Getty Images

Supplemental Security Income assistance is a modest monthly supplement to the incomes of qualified applicants. Facing a tough economic situation as an unwed mother is only one qualification to receive SSI, according to the Social Security Administration. You must also be either be 65 years old, blind or disabled, or your child must be blind or disabled. Apply for benefits at your local Social Security office.


As a single mother, you can earn as much as $1,433 a month and still receive SSI benefits. If you also receive unearned income, such as a pension, worker's compensation or annuities, it cannot exceed $694 a month, according to the Social Security Administration.


The Social Security worker assisting you with your case will also check on your assets, including the amount you have in the bank, in investment accounts and in stocks and bonds, according to the Social Security Administration. As an unwed mother, you're allowed to have up to $2,000 in assets while applying for SSI.


If you're elderly, disabled or blind, or your child is disabled or blind, you can receive up to $674 a month in SSI payments, according to the Social Security Administration. People on SSI are encouraged to work if at all possible and the Social Security Administration offers work incentives, including reducing your SSI payments by only one dollar for every two dollars you earn.

Other Programs

Plenty of programs exist to help single parents with low income. If your situation doesn't qualify for SSI, you might consider the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP. SNAP, formerly called the food stamp program, provides households with the money to buy groceries. As a single mother with one child, you can earn up to $1,579 a month before deductions and still get SNAP, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. You may also qualify for Medicaid, a government health insurance program. Nearly all SSI recipients qualify for Medicaid, according to the Social Security Administration.