Does Renter's Insurance Cover the Insured in a Slip & Fall Injury?

by Neil Kokemuller
Renter's insurance typicaly covers personal items and liability.

Renter's insurance is a common coverage purchased by people who rent a house or apartment. The primary protection in a typical renter's policy is for damage to personal items you keep in the home. You also commonly get some liability coverage in a standard policy. This component pays benefits when you are liable for injury or property damage to a guest or third party on the property. Policies don't cover injuries to you as the insured, however.

More Policy Details

If you get injured in the rented home, you may have recourse against the property owner or landlord if negligence or non-disclosure of dangers contributed to the injury. The liability component in the plan is intended to help you protect against the risks that someone you invite into your home is injured during the visit. If a visitor slips and falls and is injured, then your policy will likely provide some coverage.

About the Author

Neil Kokemuller has been an active business, finance and education writer and content media website developer since 2007. He has been a college marketing professor since 2004. Kokemuller has additional professional experience in marketing, retail and small business. He holds a Master of Business Administration from Iowa State University.

Photo Credits

  • Thinkstock/Comstock/Getty Images