Companies such as Visa and MasterCard offer prepaid credit cards that allow you to load money on to a card to use for purchases. If you do not have a bank account, the prepaid card can come in handy for online purchases, online bill pay, or to use to pay at the gas pump. Once you have your prepaid card you must register the card to protect your money in case the card is lost or stolen. Registering your card will also allow you to keep track of the stored amount and in some cases, refill the card. Registering only takes a few minutes and your card will be activated for use once the process is complete.
Locate the phone number on the back of the card or using your paperwork.
Call the number on the back of the card.
Enter the card number using your telephones keypad.
Follow any further instructions to identify your card and then a representative of the card company will assist you with the remainder of the registration process.
Provide the representative with your personal information such as your name, address, government-issued ID number, email address and telephone number.
Create a pin number or password while on the phone so you can access your card’s information online or over the phone at any time.
Locate the website on the back of the card or with your paperwork and then visit the website.
Type in your card number and any other information required to identify your card.
Enter your personal information such as your name, address, government-issued ID number, email address and telephone number.
Create a user name and pin number, or password, so you can access your card’s information online or over the phone at any time.
- MasterCard: Support Prepaid FAQs
- Visa: Prepaid Debit Card FAQ
- Discover. "What Is a Credit Card Number?" Accessed March 13, 2020.
- Federal Trade Commission. "What to Know About the New Credit and Debit Chip Cards." Accessed March 13, 2020.
- Discover. "Surprising Reasons Your Credit Card Won't Swipe." Accessed March 13, 2020.
- National Center for Biotechnology Information. "Design, Fabrication and Characterization of Computer Generated Holograms for Anti-Counterfeiting Applications Using OAM Beams As Light Decoders." Accessed March 13, 2020.
- Experian. "What Is a CVV Number on a Credit Card?" Accessed March 13, 2020.
Based in Columbus, Ga., Ashley Hay has been covering animal health and wellness since 2004, and arts and entertainment since 2008. She holds a Bachelors of Arts in psychology from the University of Central Florida.