What Is a Quit Claim Deed in Alaska?

by Beverly Bird ; Updated July 27, 2017
A quit claim deed serves only a limited purpose.

All deeds transfer rights and interests in a piece of property from one person to another. This is true in all states, including Alaska. However, Alaska has looser requirements for what constitutes a quitclaim or quit claim deed. Alaska Statute 34.15.040 lists the components you must include for a quit claim deed to be valid.


The two most common forms of deeds are warranty deeds and quit claim deeds. When you transfer property via a warranty deed, you are effectively guaranteeing that you own the interest you’re conveying to another person. With a quit claim deed, you transfer your interest without making any guarantees. As a result, the person you transfer the property to can’t sue you if you didn’t actually own the property you deed to him. He can only sue you if you conveyed the property through a warranty deed and made promises that you had a legal right to do so.


Quit claim deeds are appropriate only under certain circumstances. For instance, if a property has a long and involved record of ownership and if someone’s name is still on the existing deed but shouldn’t be, that person can sign off on her interest via a quit claim deed. If a parent is transferring property to a child, either outright or after death through his estate, a quit claim deed can safely transfer ownership of that property. Spouses also commonly use quit claim deeds to transfer marital property from one to the other after a divorce.


Alaska requires that a quit claim deed must “substantially” meet a few criteria. There is no exact form you must use as long as you include certain information. If you’re the one transferring the property, you are the grantor. The person you are giving the property to is the grantee. You must give your complete name and address and the grantee’s complete name and address, as well as the legal description of the property you’re conveying. This information is included in the previous deed. The property must be located in Alaska. You must also state what “consideration” the grantee is paying you for transfer of the property. Since quit claim deeds usually transfer property between family members, the consideration is generally something nominal, like $1. The Alaska Legal Resource Center’s website gives an example of the exact wording you should use.


If you’re the grantee and you’re acquiring property through a quit claim deed from someone other than a family member, and if you’re actually paying substantial money to acquire the property, make sure title to the property is clear and that the seller has the right to sell it to you. Use a title company to prove it, if necessary. If it turns out the grantor has no legal right to transfer the property to you, you have no recourse to get your money back.

About the Author

Beverly Bird has been writing professionally since 1983. She is the author of several novels including the bestselling "Comes the Rain" and "With Every Breath." Bird also has extensive experience as a paralegal, primarily in the areas of divorce and family law, bankruptcy and estate law. She covers many legal topics in her articles.

Photo Credits

  • Stockbyte/Stockbyte/Getty Images
bibliography-icon icon for annotation tool Cite this Article