Housing Grants for Disabled Veterans

Housing Grants for Disabled Veterans
••• the homeless image by Yuriy Rozanov from Fotolia.com

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) offers housing grants for disabled veterans who are at risk of homelessness or who need help making repairs to their homes. You can connect with a homelessness prevention counselor on the VA website or on the National Call Center hotline 24 hours a day. This service is provided at no cost to veterans and their family members.

Supportive Services for Veteran Families

The VA awards funding to nonprofit organizations for the Supportive Services for Veteran Families program. Grants can be used to help homeless veteran families or those at risk of becoming homeless. Disabled veterans also qualify for this program. The family can get temporary help to pay for rent, deposits, utility fees and other moving expenses. The money is paid directly to the property owner or moving company. To qualify for help, the family's income cannot exceed 50 percent of the area's median income and the veteran must be the head of household.

Specially Adapted Housing Grant

The Specially Adapted Housing Grant is provided to veterans with a service-related injury. Eligible veterans can qualify to receive up to $63,780 to acquire a home with special adaptations, construct a home or make adaptations to a home that she already owns. To qualify for help, the veteran must be certified with injuries that include the loss of use of either both arms or both legs, blindness, a disability due to a severe burn injury or a combination of any of these. Typical housing adaptations include widening doorways, installing ramps or creating bathrooms with easier access.

Special Housing Adaptations Grant

The VA also provides a Special Housing Adaptations Grant to veterans with less severe service-related injuries. Grants can be awarded for up to $12,756 to be used toward the purchase of an adapted home or to remodel a home that is already owned. To qualify for help, the veteran must have an injury that includes blindness in both eyes, the loss of use in both hands or a permanent disability due to a severe burn. Typical adaptations include the installation of sliding doors, special lighting or an intercom system.


The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the VA have created the HUD-VASH voucher program to help homeless veterans obtain permanent housing. Veterans with physical disabilities, mental illness or a history or substance abuse benefit the most from this program. The voucher subsidizes a portion of the veteran's rent. To qualify for help, the veteran must lack an adequate nighttime residence. Veterans in emergency shelters also qualify for help. The veteran must agree to participate in case management services to ensure that he can maintain his residential stability. These supportive services can include substance abuse counseling or job skills training.