How to File Nonresident Income Tax in Georgia

by Jamie Lisse ; Updated July 27, 2017
Filing Nonresident Income Tax in Georgia

If you work in Georgia but are a resident of another state you are required to file a state income tax return in the state of Georgia. As a nonresident of Georgia, you are only taxed on income that you actually earn in Georgia. If you moved from Georgia to another state you also are required to file a state income tax return in Georgia on the income that you earned while a resident of the state.

Step 1

Obtain form GA-500. It is the Georgia “Individual Income Tax Return.” This form is used by both residents and nonresidents. The form can be downloaded from the Georgia Department of Revenue website by clicking the “All Forms” link from the “Individual Taxes” page.

Step 2

Enter your name, social security number and address in the top area of the form, which is the taxpayer information section. Enter in “3” for “nonresident” on line number four of the form.

Step 3

Skip lines nine through 14 on form GA-500 as those lines do not apply to nonresidents. Instead, move ahead to “Schedule 3,” which can be found on page six of form GA-500.

Step 4

Fill out “Schedule 3” using your W-2 and other earned income tax documents, such as 1099s. This schedule will help you to calculate the Georgia income tax due on just the income earned in Georgia.

Step 5

Send your completed form GA-500 to the address listed on page 3 of the form. The address is different depending on if you have a refund coming to you or if you owe money to the Georgia Department of Revenue.

About the Author

Jamie Lisse has been writing professionally since 1997. She has published works with a number of online and print publishers. Her areas of expertise include finance and accounting, travel, entertainment, digital media and technology. She holds a Bachelor of Arts in English.

Photo Credits

bibliography-icon icon for annotation tool Cite this Article