How to Get a Duplicate SSI Tax Form Sent

You're not out of luck if you need a duplicate Social Security 1099 (SSA-1099) tax form this year. The government will be able to accommodate your request for a duplicate copy. However, you will need to take some specific steps to ensure that you can access your replacement form in time to file by the tax deadline. Take a look at the simple process of getting a replacement SSA-1099 form for your 2021 taxes.

Who Receives the SSA-1099 Form?

Recipients of Social Security benefits in 2021 should expect to receive a form called the SSA-1099 in January of 2022. In fact, this form is mailed every January to Social Security recipients. The form will display the total amount you received from Social Security benefits during the previous year. This will help you to know exactly how much to report in Social Security income on your 2021 tax return when you file in 2022.

While the SSA-1099 form is the standard form for Social Security recipients, it may not be the form that arrives for you. That's because nonresident aliens who received or repaid Social Security benefits should expect to receive something called the SSA-1042S instead.

What Happens if I Lose My SSA-1099 Form?

The government can provide you with an SSA-1099 replacement form if you misplace your 2021 SSA-1099. While the original forms are sent in January, replacement forms aren't available until February. You have a few options for requesting a replacement SSA-1099. Take a look:

  • Use your online Social Security account to make a request. It's OK if you don't have an existing account. Simply create one online. Once logged in, you can simply select a tab labeled "Replacement Documents" to access your SSA-1099.
  • If you prefer not to use the Internet to make a request, the government enables you to request a replacement SSA-1099 by phone. The number to use is ​1-800-772-1213​ (TTY 1-800-325-0778). Hours for this line are from ​8 a.m. to 7 p.m.​ on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
  • You can also simply visit a local Social Security office to make a request for your replacement SSA-1099 in person.
  • If you're located outside of the United States, you have the option to contact the Federal Benefits Unit closest to you.

Getting an SSA Account Online

Don't worry if you haven't already created a Social Security account online. Anyone wishing to use the "online" option for requesting a replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S can simply register to access a downloadable copy. An online Social Security account is completely free. Setting one up typically takes less than ​10 minutes​.

The benefit of signing up to have your own account is that you can actually access many resources and online services for managing your Social Security benefits once you've created an account. This is also the easiest and fastest way to get your hands on a replacement SSA-1099 that you can simply download and print at home.

If you didn't receive your SSA-1099 this year, it's time to go online, place a call or make a visit to a Social Security office to get a replacement. Form replacements are also available if you simply misplaced a form after it was received. Just keep in mind that replacement forms typically aren't available for download until February 1 of each year.