How Do I File a Quitclaim Deed in North Carolina?

Conveyance documents are those that transfer interest in a piece of real estate. The most common conveyance documents are warranty deeds and quitclaim deeds. A warranty deed is needed when a piece of real estate is being purchased. A quitclaim is used when transfer of ownership is taking place, but not money. If you have a completed North Carolina quitclaim deed, you must file it with your county's register of deeds. This is a relatively simple process.

Complete the quitclaim deed in the presence of a notary public or a member of the North Carolina Bar Association. All owners—both grantors and grantees—must sign and date the document. A notary or attorney must witness these signatures and endorse the deed with the North Carolina raised seal.

Find a legal description of the property in question. You can pay for this at your local register of deeds' office in your North Carolina county, or find a copy of the mortgage deed of trust. North Carolina law mandates that a copy of this description—including the property dimensions—be recorded with any deeds, including quitclaims.

Bring the property description, completed quitclaim deed and recording fee to your register of deeds' office. These fees will vary from county to county. For example, if the property is in Wake County, the recording fee is $19 for the first page recorded and $3 for each additional sheet, as of 2010.

Ask the abstractor at the registry for a copy of the recorded deed. This will show the book and page where the deed is recorded in the North Carolina books. It is now enforceable.