How to Get a Different State License While a Suspension Is Pending in Another State

Technology has made it difficult to keep secrets, even matters hidden in your own driving record in a different state. The Driver License Compact (DLC) and Nonresident Violator Compact (NRVC) are both agreements among states to share driver license and conviction information among jurisdictions. The DLC shares computerized information with other member states regarding traffic offenses in the licensing state of a driver. The NRVC sends notice to a driver's home state if the driver gets a ticket in another state. Most member states refuse to issue a license to a driver with a suspension pending in another member state.

Move to one of the states that is not a member of the DLC. All states are members except Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, Tennessee and Wisconsin.

Go to the Department of Motor Vehicles in your new state or visit the DMV website. Confirm that the state does not require out-of-state driving records to issue a license. Michigan, for example, does not require any prior driving records.

Apply for a driver's license in the state. Provide identification other than your prior driver's license. Michigan, for instance, accepts passports, divorce or marriage decrees, and government-issued identification cards.

Pass the driving and written test. Pay the fee. Obtain your license.


  • If this is your situation, act quickly. Administrators intend to combine the DLC and the NRVC into a new Driver License Agreement. The new DLA will be more efficient and effective, and may include all the states as members.


  • It is wise to check your new state's DMV website before you move. Some states, such as Georgia, are not members of the DLC, but have other systems in place for picking up suspended licenses such as the National Driver Register. Georgia's website states clearly that it will not issue a license to someone whose license is suspended in another state.

    If your pending suspension is not yet finalized, or relates to a non-driving offense such as failure to pay child support, the DLC may not pick it up. However, if the state where you are applying requires you to present such information, withholding of that information may be a crime.