How to Determine If You Can Claim Mileage on Taxes

You can claim mileage on your income taxes if it fits within the Internal Revenue Service rules. If you are a business owner, you can claim mileage as a business expense. Others can only claim ita for charity, medical and job related expenses if they itemize.

Business Mileage

Filing Schedule C (Profit or Loss From Business) or Schedule E (Supplemental Income and Loss) or Schedule F (Profit or Loss From Farming) will allow you to claim mileage as an expense. The IRS may ask for a written record of anything you claim, so you must keep mileage records in each vehicle. The IRS expects you to record the beginning and ending odometer reading of each trip you claim.

Job-Related Mileage

Driving to a second job, having job-related travel or moving for work are itemized deductions. You can claim mileage if you file Schedule A (Itemized Deductions) and have to records to back up those claims. You can't make the claim if the standard deduction for your household exceeds the total of your itemized deductions. You're also disqualified if your employer reimbursed you for mileage.

Charitable Mileage

Using your vehicle for charity or to do volunteer work is tax-deductible if you file Schedule A and have mileage records. You can't claim mileage if the standard deduction for your household is more than your itemized deductions.

Medical and Dental Mileage

You can claim mileage for medical and dental appointments, but only if you itemize and it's a part of your total out-of-pocket medical expense. You can only claim the portion that exceeds 10 percent of your adjusted gross income. That percentage drops to 7.5 percent if you're 65 or older.