How to Get a Copy of Your W2 for 2009

Keeping copies of your important financial records will ensure that you have them if you need them. Your W-2 is one of the records that you should keep, regardless of the year. Employers send W-2 forms each January, detailing your earnings for the previous year and showing how much in taxes was taken out. It is filed with your tax return each year. You can obtain a copy of your 2009 W-2 from your employer or the IRS.

Contact your employer or employers for 2009. You will need to have a copy of each W-2. You can go directly to the company's human resources office to request a form, or you can e-mail or mail your request. Companies are required to keep employee records for retirement and financial purposes.

Contact your tax preparer if you used a tax service. It should have a copy of your return and any forms you filed with it.

File Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return, with the IRS. Check box #8 to ensure that you receive your W-2 for 2009. Requesting a transcript is free of charge. You will be sent the transcript of your tax return, along with your W-2 and any other forms that were filed with your return.

File Form 4506 with the IRS if you want a copy of your tax return, as opposed to a transcript. Each copy costs $57, so if you can get your W-2 by the other means, try those.