If I Claim 1 on a W-4, Will I Owe Taxes at the End of the Year?

If I Claim 1 on a W-4, Will I Owe Taxes at the End of the Year?
••• Comstock Images/Comstock/Getty Images

One of the many documents you have to fill out when you start a job is a W-4 form, which tells your employer how many allowances you're claiming for income tax purposes. Entering the proper number of W4 allowances helps avoid having to write a big check to Uncle Sam when you file your taxes.


  • While claiming one allowance on your W-4 means your employer will take less money out of your paycheck for federal taxes, it does not impact how much taxes you'll actually owe. Depending on your income and any deductions or credits that apply to you, you may receive a tax refund or have to pay a difference.

Claiming One Allowance

If nobody else claims you as a dependent on their tax return, you can claim one allowance if you meet certain requirements. If you are single, you can claim one allowance if you only work one job. If you are married, the IRS suggests claiming one allowance if your spouse does not work and you have only one job. You can also claim one allowance if you are married and the income from either your second job or your spouse's job is a maximum of $1,500 annually.

Claiming allowances reduces the amount of money your employer withholds from your paycheck to cover your income taxes due at the end of the year. When you claim one allowance, it reduces your income subject to tax withholding by the value of one allowance over the course of the year – $4,150, as of 2018. For example, if you're paid weekly, each allowance reduces your paycheck subject to withholding by $79.80.

W-4 Allowances and Tax Liability

The amount withheld from your check doesn't affect your actual tax liability, just how much of it is covered through withholding. When you get a refund, it doesn't mean the government's paying you – it usually just means you're getting back the extra money you paid in during the year. Let's say your tax liability is $3,500. If you have $2,900 withheld, you're left with a bill of $600. However, if you had $4,000 withheld, you'll get a $500 refund.The withholding from your paycheck only includes the income you make from that job. If you have more than one job, or other sources of income that aren't subject to withholding, you could find yourself owing extra money. Let's say that besides the $40,000 you earn from your job, you made a $5,000 profit on stocks you sold during the year. While you're only claiming one allowance, you might owe more taxes because of the capital gains.

Deductions, Credits and Refunds

If you're entitled to more than one allowance and only claim one, you'll probably have a refund coming. You may be entitled to multiple allowances if you're claiming dependents on your tax return, filing as head of household, claiming dependent care expenses or claiming other large deductions and credits (besides the standard deduction). For example, if you qualify for a large earned income credit, that will reduce your tax liability and increase your refund. Depending upon your specific situation, however, the federally mandated standard deduction may be more financially advantageous for you.

Filing Your Taxes

You can use IRS Form 1040 to complete your federal tax requirements. Form 1040 will provide opportunities to take advantage of all deductions and credits that apply to you. Filling our the form will also let you know if you will owe any additional taxes or receive a refund.