Can You File Taxes If You Only Worked Two Months Out of a Year?

by Michael Keenan
If you had taxes withheld from a summer job, you may be able to get a refund.

You're allowed to file a tax return for the year no matter how little time you worked or how little money you made. The Internal Revenue Service sets thresholds for income after which you must file, but doesn't have a minimum filing amount. For example, in 2013, if you're single and not claimed as a dependent, you must file if your total income exceeds $10,000. If your parents claim you as a dependent, you must file if you have earned income of more than $6,100.

Reasons to File

Even if you don't owe any taxes, you might want to file a return to get money back. For example, if you worked a summer job, you might have had money withheld for taxes that you ended up not owing. To get it back, you must file a return. Similarly, if you qualify for a refundable tax credit like the American opportunity credit for college costs, the only way to claim that money is by filing a return.

About the Author

Mark Kennan is a writer based in the Kansas City area, specializing in personal finance and business topics. He has been writing since 2009 and has been published by "Quicken," "TurboTax," and "The Motley Fool."

Photo Credits

  • Jupiterimages/Stockbyte/Getty Images