How to Add Your Wife to a Property Deed in Arizona

Arizona is a community property state, so all assets and debts acquired during the marriage are considered marital property. If you bought the home during the marriage, you don't necessarily need to add your wife to the deed for her to have ownership rights. However, if you owned your home before the marriage, it's considered separate property. You can make your home a marital asset by adding your wife's name using a quitclaim deed.

How a Quitclaim Deed Works

A quitclaim deed doesn't guarantee a clear property title, so it's generally reserved for property transfers between relatives and close friends. As the name implies, the quitclaim deed allows you to "quit" or give up a share of your interest in the home. The quitclaim deed replaces the current deed. It must be recorded.

Obtaining a Quitclaim Deed Form

You can buy a blank quitclaim deed form at an office supply store, stationery store or title company. County clerks also provide the forms in person and online; some charge a nominal fee. Although the wording on each form may vary slightly, all quitclaims deeds will contain the same basic elements.

According to Arizona Quitclaim Deed, there are three parts. The top part is for the recorder, while the middle part is for the filer. The bottom part is for the notary.

If you prefer, you can create your own quitclaim deed from scratch, but you'll need to follow specific state requirements. For example, margins must be at least 1/2 inch on the top, bottom, left and right. You'll also need to include a ​2 1/2-inch​ top margin on the first page for document stamping.

Read More:Quitclaim Deed Examples

Completing the Form

To complete a quitclaim deed to add spouse to house title, you'll need to:

  1. Enter your name in the "prepared by" space.
  2. List yourself as the grantor, as you're the party giving up your interest.
  3. Name yourself and your wife as the grantees. Since you want to remain on the deed, you'll need to also be a grantee, or receiving party.
  4. List your current primary residence in any spaces that request the grantor's address.
  5. Include a legal description of the property as it appears on the current deed.
  6. Sign the deed in the presence of a witness and notary public. Only you need to sign the deed. Your wife's signature isn't necessary, because she isn't giving up any ownership rights.

Read More:The Quitclaim Deed Process

Recording the Deed

The deed must be recorded at the county recorder's office. Each county sets its own recording requirements. Although an "Affidavit of Property Value" is required for most real estate transfers, you can qualify for an exemption if money isn't being exchanged.

At the time of filling, you'll need to pay the recording fees as well. The majority of Arizona counties, including Maricopa County, charge about ​$30​ to record the deed. You can opt to get a copy of the recorded document for your records if you wish for a nominal fee.