How to Add a Person to a Land Title in Washington State

Washington state, much like the 49 other states, requires the execution of a deed in order to change ownership on any piece of property. This includes both land and homes. If you need to simply add another vested owner to your property, you will need to file a quitclaim deed, rather than a warranty deed. In Washington, a warranty deed is used to transfer property ownership from an individual to a trust.

Obtain a blank copy of a Washington quitclaim deed. You cannot file just any quitclaim deed; it must reflect the state in which it will be recorded.

Contact all owners of the property. All vested owners currently on the title must sign a quitclaim deed. In order to share ownership with another person, you must get all other vested owners to consent and sign.

Hire a Washington notary public. Any notary you choose must be bonded with a valid insurance policy (this protects any recipient of notary service from fraud). You will likely only need to hire the notary for one hour.

Arrange a meeting between yourself, other vested owners, the person you are adding to the title and the notary public. Everyone must have two forms of identification. One of these IDs must be a government-issued photo ID.

Sign and date the deed. You and the vested owners are the grantors; the new person is the grantee. Double-check the spelling, signatures and dates. The notary must witness the signing. She then must sign, date and place her embossed seal on the document. Make copies for all parties involved.

Bring the original deed to the Registry of Deeds in your town in Washington. You must pay a recording fee to record the deed (the fee is usually no more than $50). Once the deed is recorded, ask an abstractor for the book and page in which it is recorded. It is now legal.