How to Use the Last Pay Stub as W-2

••• Comstock Images/Comstock/Getty Images

Employers must provide their employees with W-2 forms and simultaneously file the forms with the IRS if the employer withholds taxes for the employee. The W-2 form includes your name, address, Social Security number, gross income and taxes withheld. When you file your taxes, the W-2 helps you fill out your tax return. The W-2 is also turned in to the IRS whether you file your taxes electronically or by mail. Nevertheless, you are required to file your taxes without a W-2 if you do not have it in your possession.

Step 1

Contact your employer and request the W-2 form. Allow time for your employer to send you the W-2.

Step 2

Call the IRS at 800-829-1040 if you do not receive the W-2 after a reasonable amount of time. Inform the IRS that you do not have your W-2. Give the IRS representative your name, address, Social Security number, phone number, employer's information, gross income and the amount of tax withheld.

Step 3

Fill out IRS Form 4852 based upon the information on your last pay stub. This includes your gross income and various taxes withheld. Sign and date the form. Attach the form to your income tax return and file both with the IRS at the mailing address described in your tax return.


About the Author

Andrew Mayfair has written professionally since 2009 when his article on patent law was published in the "Loyola of Los Angeles Entertainment Law Review." Mayfair earned his Bachelor of Science in biochemistry from the University of California, Davis and his Juris Doctor from the University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law.

Photo Credits

  • Comstock Images/Comstock/Getty Images