How to Transfer Back to Original College

by Ploni Almoni
Returning to college usually requires an application for readmission.

Most colleges allow students to return after an absence without an extensive admissions process, although some documentation, such as an "intent to return" application, is typically required. The process can be more complicated if a student left when he was not in "good academic standing," and not all credits earned at other colleges attended in the interim may transfer back to the home college. Procedures and policies vary from college to college, so contact the Office of Admissions of your college to find out the specific requirements.

Contact the Office of Admissions of your college to learn the policies and procedures for readmittance. Try the college's website first, under "Admissions."

Complete the necessary paperwork, such as an "Intent to Return" or "Application for Readmittance" form. You can usually find the forms on the website too.

Confirm state residency and eligibility for federal and state financial aid. Academic and merit scholarships might not be applicable for readmission candidates, although you still might qualify for state aid if your absence from the home college was not prolonged.

Pay all fees associated with the application for readmittance.

Request official transcripts from colleges you attended in the interim. These transcripts are usually sent directly to the Office of Admissions.

About the Author

Ploni Almoni began writing professionally in 1990. Since then, he has published widely in scholarly journals such as "Slavic Review," "Transcultural Psychiatry" and "Thought and Action." Almoni earned a Doctor of Philosophy in history from the University of Toronto.

Photo Credits

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article