How to Stop a Change of Address

If you live long enough, you'll probably have the experience of moving to another city or state. If you do, you will want to change your address with the United States Postal Service. The process is fairly simple and can be done online or at a physical Postal Office. You can also cancel or stop your change of address request at any time as long as you have your confirmation number. Here's how to do it.

Obtain your confirmation code. This code was included in your confirmation email if you changed your address online. If you initiated the change of address at the Post Office or by telephone, the confirmation code will be sent to you at your new address.

Go to the Change of Address Form online and click the button at the bottom of the page "View, Update or Cancel."

Fill in the information beginning with your confirmation code (xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx format) and then your new ZIP code. Click Submit.

Cancel your Change of Address order. After submitting your information, you can cancel your change of address order by clicking on that option. You can also change the:

• Forwarding start date • Forwarding end date (temporary move) • Email address • Phone number


About the Author

Working as a full-time freelance writer/editor for the past two years, Bradley James Bryant has over 1500 publications on eHow, and other sites. She has worked for JPMorganChase, SunTrust Investment Bank, Intel Corporation and Harvard University. Bryant has a Master of Business Administration with a concentration in finance from Florida A&M University.