SSI Benefits for a 70 Year Old

by Lainie Petersen ; Updated July 27, 2017

If you or someone you know is 70 years old and needs financial help, going on SSI may be a good option. SSI benefits provide cash income, and recipients are often eligible for other types of aid. A person does not need to qualify for other types of Social Security benefits to receive SSI.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

The Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program is a government program that provides income to elderly, blind and disabled people who live on a limited income. While the program is administered by the Social Security Administration, the funding for SSI comes from general tax revenue, not Social Security taxes. Unlike other Social Security benefits, a person does not need to qualify for the program by working and contributing to the Social Security system for a prescribed number of years. Anyone who is disabled, blind or elderly, and who meets the program's income requirements, can apply for SSI, even if they never worked or paid Social Security taxes. A person who is not blind or disabled can qualify for SSI once he reaches the age of 65.

Other Social Security Benefits

It is possible for someone to qualify for SSI as well as regular Social Security benefits. SSI eligibility is based on income and financial resources, so even if a person receives Social Security retirement or survivor's benefits, if these benefits are low and she doesn't have other sources of income, she may still be able to receive SSI.

Video of the Day

Brought to you by Sapling
Brought to you by Sapling

Applying for SSI

Applications for SSI must be completed either over the telephone or in person at a Social Security Office. However, it is possible to fill out part of an SSI application online. Contact the Social Security Administration at 800-772-1213 to make arrangements for applying for SSI benefits.

Eligibility for Other Benefits

In many places, a person who receives SSI is automatically eligible for various types of assistance, including food stamps, rental assistance, reduced utility bills and subsidized health care. If you, or someone you know, is on SSI and needs additional help in meeting day-to-day needs, your local social services department can help with an application for additional aid.

About the Author

Lainie Petersen writes about business, real estate and personal finance, drawing on 25 years experience in publishing and education. Petersen's work appears in Money Crashers, Selling to the Masses, and in Walmart News Now, a blog for Walmart suppliers. She holds a master's degree in library science from Dominican University.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article