How to Report False Disability Claims

by Jennifer Terry ; Updated July 27, 2017

Items you will need

  • Identifying information of person being reported
  • Information supporting your report
  • Fraud reporting form

Providing untrue information to the Social Security Administration in order to secure disability benefits is a false disability claim. It is illegal whether the claim is for you or on someone else's behalf. Some examples: making statements that identify the claimant as having a disability when he does not or helping to hide earnings or assets. Benefits paid to people who make false claims place an undue burden on the system. If you suspect someone has made a false disability claim you can file a report.

Report a False Disability Claim

Step 1

Call the Social Security Administration and ask for a Fraud Reporting Form. The telephone number is 1-800-269-0271. Or you may use an online report form at

Step 2

Choose one of three options when beginning the Fraud Reporting Form. You may choose "Confidentiality and Anonymity is not requested," "I wish to remain Confidential," or "I wish to remain Anonymous." With the first two options you supply your name and contact information on the form. If you wish to remain anonymous you do not have to provide your information.

Step 3

Write down as much identifying information as you know about the person who you claim is committing the fraud. This will help Social Security Administration officials be certain they investigate the person you intend to report. You should be prepared to provide the perpetrator's name; the victim's name; the activity that concerns you; where, when, and how the potential fraud was committed; and the names of any other people knowledgeable about the alleged violation.

Step 4

Provide a complete description of the activity or information that makes you believe the person is committing the fraud. Is the person concealing work activity when the person is receiving disability benefits? Is the person receiving benefits for children the person doesn't provide care for? Is someone failing to notify the government of a beneficiary's death in order to continue to receive benefits? Does someone manage another person's funds ( known as a "representative payee") but is misusing benefits? An example of misusing another's benefits is spending money on items not used directly by the beneficiary.

Step 5

Complete the Fraud Reporting Form and mail it to Social Security Fraud Hotline, P.O. Box 17768, Baltimore, Maryland 21235. You may choose to fax the form to 410-597-0118.


  • If you have any questions about completing a fraud report you may call the Social Security Administration. If you have a hearing impairment you may use the TTY number 1-866-501-2101.


  • You will not be able to receive updates about the case you report due to the confidentiality of information about the other party.

About the Author

Jennifer Terry is program director for TriCounty Agency for Intellectual Disabilities. As a University of Alabama graduate, she holds a Masters in rehabilitation counseling and a Bachelor in psychology with an emphasis in child development. She also earned an Associate in business management and second Associate in computer information systems from Bevill State Community College. She holds a grant writing certificate from North Georgia College and State University.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article