How to Obtain & Fill Out Temporary Disability Forms

Temporary disability payments can mean the difference between being able to pay your bills after an injury and not. While disability pay typically will not replace your entire income, general coverage can provide up to 2/3 of your normal wages. Who you contact to receive an application for benefits depends on the type of plan you have. The Social Security Administration (SSA) typically does not award benefits for temporary disabilities. However, some states provide short-term disability for workers who have off-the-job injuries or illnesses. Workers' compensation provides temporary disability payments for workers hurt while performing work for their employers, and some private insurers offer disability plans that pay regardless of where the injury occurred.

Contact your state's disability compensation division if your state offers disability insurance for employees. The department will direct you to the forms or send you to your employer for them. Fill the covered individual's portion of the claim out completely and take the physician's portion of the claim to your doctor. Include any information requested by your state and mail it to the address on the claim form or return it to your employer per the department's directions.

Visit your private insurance company's website to download a claims form. Follow the instructions from your insurance company to fill out the claim. You will have to include a physician's statement when filing. Depending on your provider, you may be able to start your claim online.

Ask your employer for a disability claim form if you are filing for workers' compensation disability payments. If your employer will not provide you with the claims form, contact your state's workers' compensation department. Fill the claim out completely and return the claims form and any physician statements to your employer. Your employer will send the form to its insurance provider.


  • Your medical history can have an impact on whether you qualify for private disability insurance, and also on the premium rate.

    If you are having difficulty qualifying for disability, an experienced disability attorney may be able to help. Many attorneys will only charge you if they are able to help you get your benefits.


  • Your disability payments may be taxable by the Internal Revenue Service.

    Your provider may require a waiting period before beginning your payments.