Hunger affects more than thirty million people in the United States; many of these people need to locate a soup kitchen. Soup kitchens are located throughout the country in big cities as well as tiny communities. They supply meals to people that are homeless, poor or living at or below the poverty level.
Visit your local social service office for a listing of soup kitchens in your area.
Check online at websites such as 4homeless for a list of soup kitchens and other resources in each state (see link in Resources).
Talk to someone that works, or volunteers, at a food pantry to find out where the soup kitchens in your area are located.
Go to a church, or other place of worship, to find out if they offer a soup kitchen. If they don't, they will tell you where local soup kitchens are located.
Call your local government agency and tell them you need assistance in locating a soup kitchen in your area.
- Some communities have mobile soup kitchens to serve the people in need.
- Many people are not aware of the magnitude of the problem. Soup kitchens always need volunteers to help in food preparation and serving.
- Soup kitchens and food pantries always need donations of food.
- Often a soup kitchen is located where there is also a food pantry.
- In the United States, one out of every ten households is living with hunger.
- More than 800 million people go hungry worldwide.
- Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images