How to Get a Bankruptcy Off Your Credit Report

by Lea Barton ; Updated July 27, 2017

Financial troubles can happen to anyone. You can get laid off from your job, have an illness that keeps you from working, have family problems or get a divorce--all of these problems can cause financial difficulties. Before you know it, these financial problems mound up and you suddenly find yourself swimming in a sea of debt with no way to get out. That is what bankruptcy is for. People and businesses declare bankruptcy when circumstances make it financially impossible to pay debts. The biggest problem with declaring bankruptcy is that is scars your credit report and makes it very difficult to get credit in the future. Get a bankruptcy off your credit report so that you can get the credit you need to have the lifestyle you want.

Step 1

Get online and order a free credit report. There are three major credit report agencies--get reports from all three (see Resources below).

Step 2

Request a dispute form from any agency that reports your bankruptcy on your credit report.

Step 3

Fill out the dispute form online and submit it. Disputing online is the fastest and most convenient way, but if you need to you can call them and request that they mail you the dispute form. Then you fill out the form and mail it back to them.

Step 4

Get a response in the mail. The credit reporting agencies will respond within 60 days to let you know if the bankruptcy has been removed.


  • Credit reporting agencies may take longer to respond to your dispute then they say.
    If the bankruptcy does not come off all your credit reports right away, try again. By law, the bankruptcy can stay on the credit report for as long as 7 to 10 years. There is no law preventing you from requesting the bankruptcy's removal from your credit report, though.

About the Author

Lea Barton has been writing since 1989, with over 2,000 articles in print and online for such publications as "Today's Parent," "Boston Globe Magazine", and Associated Content. She attended Harvard University's Extension School, completing courses in creative writing and German.