How to File a Tax Lien in the State of Ohio

If you do not pay your taxes in Ohio, the Ohio Department of Taxation may refer you to the state Attorney General's office to file a tax lien against your property. The Department of Taxation does not report tax liens to credit bureaus, but the liens are a matter of public record and can show up on credit reports, which will make it difficult for you to borrow money. To clear up your credit rating, you should obtain a release from the tax lien.

Call the Ohio Department of Taxation at (614) 752-7541 to arrange payments on the taxes. You can also call the appropriate department of the Attorney General's office. For sales tax call (614) 466-7094. For withholding tax call (614) 752-7541. For personal income tax call (614) 466-0845. For worker's compensation tax call (614) 466-8360. For corporate franchise tax call (614) 752-7541. For other taxes call (614) 466-3521.

Make the tax payments as arranged. Once you have paid in full, the State of Ohio will send you a Release and Satisfaction of Judgment form.

File the original form sent to you by the state with the Clerk of the District Court in which the lien was filed. You will have to pay a filing fee, which was $73 as of January 20, 2011. You will also have to pay any court costs, which vary from case to case.

Ask the clerk to give you three certified copies of the Release and Satisfaction of Judgment form that you filed. There might be a charge.

Send a certified copy of the Release and Satisfaction of Judgment form to each of the three major credit bureaus.