How to File for an Extension With TurboTax

Each April, citizens across the United States scramble to get their tax returns in on time. Fortunately, if you are having difficulty getting your paperwork together or don't have the money to pay your tax liability, you can file an extension with the IRS until October 15 by filing Form 4868, Application of Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. And you can do this directly in TurboTax.

Open your tax return in TurboTax by clicking on the Federal Taxes tab.

Select "Other Tax Situations."

Choose the "Start" button next to "File an Extension."


Follow instructions as prompted. When you reach the end, you will be asked whether you want to print the form. You must print and mail the form; it cannot be submitted via e-file.



  • Your extension is automatic as long as it filed on time. If you don't send payment, the extension will not be late, but the IRS will charge you interest on the amount.