Federal Grants for Graduate School

by Lucinda Harper
Studying at graduate school can be expensive, but the federal government helps eligible student financially with grants.

Federal grant money is available for those students applying to attend graduate school. Grants can help pay for a student's tuition and fees, books, or room and board. The U.S. Department of Education's Office of Federal Student Aid is responsible for distributing financial awards and assistance in the form of grant money.


The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the first step in the process of receiving any federal money. Federal aid can come in the form of grants, loans or work-study. Grants are a financial gift and do not need to be repaid. Students can apply for FAFSA using their most current tax information to determine eligibility for federal grants.

Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is granted to low-income students based on demonstrated financial need. The student's expected family contribution (EFC) is factored together with the cost of attendance at the graduate institution and the status of a student's enrollment. Eligible students can receive up to $5,500 for the academic year.

Video of the Day

Brought to you by Sapling
Brought to you by Sapling


Any student pursuing a degree in education may be eligible for the TEACH Grant. The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant is a program designed to financially help prospective teachers who intend to teach at least four years in a public or private school in a low-income environment. Applicants who attend participating colleges, maintain academic achievement requirements and sign a TEACH Grant agreement are eligible for up to $4,000 in grant money.

Fulbright-Hays--Group Projects Abroad

The Fulbright-Hays--Group Projects Abroad program offers financial aid for graduate students studying the social sciences, humanities and foreign languages. This grant money is offered to individuals receiving short-term or long-term training in foreign countries to develop foreign-language teaching skills.

About the Author

Lucinda Harper has traveled far and wide, writing about her professional work experiences in education, politics and the beauty industry since 2004. She graduated from the University of California Irvine with a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science.

Photo Credits

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article