How to Establish In-State Residency in Arizona for College

by Contributor

In 2006, Arizona passed into law residency requirements for colleges. All public colleges in Arizona are required to verify citizenship, legal residency or other lawful presence status for any student trying to obtain in-state tuition or financial aid. Students unable to provide documentation will be charged non-resident tuition. Every student needs to know what steps to take to establish in-state residency in an Arizona college. Follow these steps to guide you in establishing in-state residency.

Petition for a review of residency through the Residency Classification Office at your college of choice. Forms are usually available two days before the beginning of the petition period.

Check to see when the window for this petition opens and closes. You should be able to find this information at your local college or online.

Start the petition process as soon as possible. It is your responsibility to begin the process.

Submit your petition for reclassification before the deadline. If you do not submit your petition before the deadline, you will pay out-of-state tuition cost.

Meet all three of the independent requirements: one full year of living in Arizona, one full year proving your intention to make Arizona your permanent residence, and two years of financial independence (some exceptions are allowed).

Sign an oath stating the information you provided in your petition is accurate.

About the Author

This article was written by PocketSense staff. If you have any questions, please reach out to us on our contact us page.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article