How Can I Get a Veteran 1099R?

by Lauren Treadwell ; Updated July 27, 2017

Veterans who receive retirement income from the Department of Veteran's Affairs receive 1099-R statements each year. These tax forms provide the amount veterans received in retirement income for the previous tax year, which veterans then report to the Internal Revenue Service on their tax returns. If you have not received your 1099-R, or if you have misplaced it, you can request a copy from the Defense Finance and Accounting Service online or over the phone.

By Phone

Step 1

Press "4" to enter the 1099-R request menu.

Step 2

Enter your Social Security number. The system will mail a copy of the 1099-R to the address the DFAS has on file within seven to 10 days.

About the Author

Lauren Treadwell studied finance at Western Governors University and is an associate of the National Association of Personal Financial Advisors. Treadwell provides content to a number of prominent organizations, including Wise Bread, FindLaw and Discover Financial. As a high school student, she offered financial literacy lessons to fellow students.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article