How to Buy Insurance for an Old Commercial Truck for Private Use

Trucks or other types of commercial grade vehicles that are going to be used as personal vehicles are typically insured in there same manner as private passenger automobiles. Commercial vehicles that are no longer used for business purposes can be used as personal vehicles to save on the cost of buying a new or used vehicle. You can buy insurance for your old commercial truck for private use by first finding the proper vehicle information.

Contact your insurance agent or insurance company representative. Alternatively, you can also go to your insurance agent's office in person.

Tell your agent or insurance company representative that you have a commercial grade vehicle you would like to add to your personal automobile policy.

Provide the vehicle identification, or VIN, if it is available on the vehicle. Many types of commercial grade vehicles do not have a VIN, but personal vehicles that were used for commercial use will have one.

Provide the make and model when asked, if a vehicle identification number is not available. The agent or company representative can use the make and model to obtain information about the vehicle, such as the body style.

Wait for your agent or company representative to enter the information you provided in their software quoting systems to calculate the premium for your insurance policy.


  • Many types of commercial grade vehicles, such as a delivery van, a vehicle used to transport a show vehicle or to maintain your property, can be insured on your personal automobile policy.

    The Vehicle Identification Number, or VIN, is located under the windshield of the dashboard, on the driver's side of the vehicle, if available.

    If you do not know the model of the vehicle, you can provide the manufacturer of the vehicle and the purpose of use for your vehicle.


  • Commercial vehicles that are insured for personal use may not have some policy options available, such as discounts.